Thursday, September 6, 2007

Arlene's New Hunting Shack, Part Two

We spent a great Labor Day weekend at Camp Chicken! Our plan was to finish Arlene's hunting shack. We arrived late Friday night and had just finished dinner when Dan and Anthony came in. We had a nice visit and Dan, R and I talked "hunting" until late and turned in.

We were up early Saturday morning and Dan, R and I started cutting the holes for the shack windows. It is a tricky thing to do and luckily, Dan is pretty darn good with the skillsaw to cut them freehand. Once all five were cut, Dan and I cut the trim for the outside and attached it around the windows.

Arlene gave us the "boot" as she needed to do the inside frames herself. Dan cut down two big dead maples that were in her sight-line. Then he and I set out on our 4-wheelers to our hunting shack, "Sky-View" to repair the roof. R had bought a half package of shingles at the ReStore for two bucks and they almost covered our roof.

When we got back, she had actually finished the windows and started staining the shack. In the meantime, our good neighbor Ronnie Leach had dropped off his big wood splitter for us to use for the weekend.

Mary Sue and Tiny arrived at camp also. Tiny had been really sick with an infection on Friday and Mary wasn't sure they were coming. So it was nice to see them.

Arlene grilled supper for us and Mary, Dan, Anthony, R and I ate outside at the big picnic table. After dinner, we went for a ride to look at the deer, our favorite pastime in the late summer and fall. We went down to an oat field near the river and there were lots of deer there. We noticed that one had nice horns and our spotting scopes confirmed it was at least an 8-point. Turns out there were two large bucks in the field together, one a perfect 8-pt and the other a 9-pt. WOW! Biggest deer I've ever seen around here.

My sister Cindy caught up with us about dusk and came back to camp for a game of Attack Uno. Dan and Anthony had to go home so we sadly said goodbye to them.

Sunday morning, R went back to her shack to work on insulating the inside and Mary and I started to split wood. We split a bunch and Tiny watched from her favorite chair with my old camp shirt for a pillow. Mary and I went back to check on R and she was almost done insulating so we started building the shelf she wanted inside her shack. Mom walked back for a visit and to see the progress. Tiny decided that since we were all too busy to pay attention to her, that she would cuddle on Mom's lap.

We finished the shelf and by 4 pm quit for the day and loaded the trailer up to haul everything back to camp. Mom had brought treats for us and boy were they good. We all laid down for a nap before dinner and when Mary and I woke up it looked like rain coming so we worked like crazy to unload the trailer and get all the leftover wood and our tools piled in the old trailer we use for storage. We just finished when it started to really pour. R woke up as it started to rain and made dinner for us. Grilled pork chops and potatoes with garden tomatoes and cucumbers, Yum Yum.

The rain finally quit and we went out for a ride to look at the deer. No big bucks tonite, just spikehorns and one nice 4-pt. We called my sister Cindy and she came up for a game of Attack Uno.

Monday morning found an intruder in camp, a big skunk surprised Mary when she took Tiny out to go "potty" at 6:45 am. Yikes. I grabbed my gun but he hustled away. I made coffee and cinnamon rolls for breakfast and R went back to put the finishing touches on her shack. It really looks great!!!

Mary and I split wood all morning and then she and Tiny headed back to the Soo. I rode down to see Ronnie at his "camp" to see when he needed the splitter back. When I got back, R had cleaned up the trailer and loaded the car and was staining our steps. It was getting late so we headed home.

See you next weekend, Camp Chicken.


Judy Merrill-Smith said...

WOW! You guys worked really hard, and the shack looks great. I love the last picture of R, holding her hands up in front of the shack.

I bet you guys will be keeping your eyes open for that 9-point buck.... That'd make quite a trophy.

Love, Judy

Cathy Smith said...

Doesn't look great. She did a fantastic job with the camo. Now she wants to go back to Dan and my shack and touch up our camo job. LOL, I am no artist so it is pretty lame.

Love, Cathy